Did you claim your Pension Refund after the JET Program?

If you returned less than 2 years ago and still haven’t, you still have a chance! Every month you worked on JET, a portion of your paycheck was automatically applied to the Pension Program. You are eligible to receive a one-time lump sum reimbursement after you leave Japan.

However, there are a few steps to this complicated process, one of which will involve having a Proxy in Japan. Think about who (preferably a Japanese person you can trust, maybe even your former tantosha) you can ask to help you with this, and become familiar with the process.

Make sure you know where your little Blue Pension Book is (given to you at the beginning of your program) ; if you lost it, it will be difficult to claim your refund! You can email the pension service if this is your situation.

Also prior to leaving Japan, a JET should have received all necessary paperwork. Keep extra copies of all forms and the numbers listed in the blue booklet in case they are lost or destroyed. The pension refund must be applied for within 2 years of a JET’s departure date.

For more on filing for the refund, see here:

 Before Leaving Japan: http://jetprogramme.org/en/gih/  GIH (Pg. 165)

 After JET Guide: http://jetprogramme.org/en/ajg/

Florida JETAA and the Consulate General of Japan in Miami cannot help or act as an intermediary for JET alumni attempting to file for their refunds.