JET Program Coordinator,
Embassy of Japan in Washington, D.C.
Posted October 19, 2016
Administering the JET Program is a challenging but rewarding job; accordingly, the JET Office at the Embassy of Japan in Washington, D.C. is seeking an individual with an exceptional work ethic and dedication to mission of the JET Program to join us.
About the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program
The JET Program is the government of Japan’s most successful exchange program, sending over 62,000 participants to Japan since 1987 to serve as Assistant Language Teachers and Coordinators for International Relations. The program aims to enhance English language education at the primary and secondary school levels, as well as to promote international exchange by fostering ties at the grassroots level between Japanese and foreign youth.
Title: Program Coordinator
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Location: JET Program Office, Embassy of Japan, 2520 Massachusetts Avenue NW, 20008
Please note: the Program Coordinator is an independent contractor to the Embassy and will not be deemed an employee of the Embassy for any purpose whatsoever. The Program Coordinator will receive compensatory time off for any overtime hours worked. This position does NOT include paid vacation, sick leave, or health insurance coverage. Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder. Screening will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only successful candidates will be contacted. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
Under the supervision of the Education Counselor, the Program Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the screening process for applications for all U.S. candidates, recruitment and interviewing of applicants in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area, and preparing successful candidates for departure. This position will also involve liaising with the JET Alumni Association of Washington, D.C. and assisting with other projects within the Education Counselor’s portfolio as necessary.
- Program promotion through recruiting events (career fairs, information sessions, etc.) and social media outreach efforts
- Implementation of the online application system, application screening, and responding to applicant inquiries
- Coordination of the review and interview processes, including scheduling and serving as point of contact with review and interview committee members
- Planning and execution of events, including logistical support, coordinating volunteers, and conducting presentations
- Communicate and collaborate with other JET Program Coordinators at Japanese Consulates in the U.S.
- Other duties assigned at the discretion of the Education Counselor or senior JET Program Coordinators
- S. citizenship or proper authorization to seek employment in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong English verbal and written skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software
- Experience with or knowledge of the JET Program
- Experience working with international education/exchange programs
- Social media and digital marketing experience
- Japanese language ability
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Tuesday, October 25th.