There are lots of exciting things happening lately! We just finished a very successful 10th anniversary Tampa Natsumatsuri and held a Q&A with the new JETs getting ready to head to Japan. We also had a great time at our first ever Archery event here in Miami. Our conversation meetups are going strong, with the Tampa Tsudoi held the first Friday of the month and the Miami’s Coffee Kaiwa held on the last Saturday of the month.
What is really exciting, however, is a great opportunity for JET Program alumni to return to the area they lived in Japan and the school where they taught. The Satogaeri Project. As part of the project, JET alumni will return to their former places of work, and re-visit places with which they have a strong affiliation, local residents who they developed close relationships with, current JET participants and others, on the basis of their ‘Satogaeri Project Plan’. If accepted, the JET alum will travel to Japan from Monday, 9 November, 2015 – Friday, 13 November, 2015 (4 nights, 5 days). After participating in exchange activities in Tokyo, the participants will each return to the area in Japan where they lived and worked as a JET participant, and engage in activities according to their own ‘Satogaeri Project Plan’. CLAIR will cover the cost of travelling to Japan; domestic travel, accommodation and meal expenses in Japan (excluding meal expenses when the participant is not engaged in Satogaeri Project duties); and overseas travel accident insurance (travel insurance). For more details about this wonderful opportunity and how to apply, please visit: http://www.jetaausa.com/national-initiatives/satogaeri-project/
The application deadline for the Satogaeri Project is coming up soon, July 13th, 2015. If you’d like to apply and would like a letter of recommendation from the Florida JETAA chapter, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible with a list of the ways you’ve been involved in JETAA (the requirement of active JETAA participation is waived if there is no JETAA chapter in your area, so if you’re in a region of Florida where we do not have much representation we would be happy to provide a letter to that extent).
- Applicants must have completed their appointment on the JET Program as an ALT, CIR, SEA and be actively contributing to their local JET Alumni Association (if a chapter is in your area)
- You would be a suitable representative of JET Program alumni. You have been recommended by your JETAA chapter (see recommendation letter information below).
- You have a strong desire to reconnect with your former contracting organization and the region you previously lived and worked in, and you are able to make direct contact and cooperate with the school/workplace that you worked at.
- Your former workplace is able to receive you (and carry out activities with you during your visit).
- You will actively post about your experiences in and impressions of Japan from the perspective of an international visitor on your blog, homepage, Facebook page or other means.
- You accept that there may be mass media coverage of your visit, and will cooperate where required.
- You will write a report of your experiences on the Satogaeri Project after returning to your home country.
- You are able to participate in the entire schedule of the Satogaeri Project.
- Your Satogaeri Project Plan is deemed appropriate.
- You are a participant who completed your term on the program 3 or more years ago (preferred).
- Letters of recommendation are not mandatory but are highly encouraged from your JETAA chapter or another Japan-related group, to show the applicant’s engagement with alumni and likelihood to carry out the provisions of the project.
- Letter of recommendation should be sent to Arisa Maruno firstname.lastname@example.org by July 13th
I hope that many members of our chapter will take advantage of this opportunity and apply!