University of South Florida
The Office of International Services (OIS) Student Programs Coordinator is responsible for developing and facilitating programs to help international students integrate into campus and community life, and to promote interaction between international and domestic students. The Coordinator increases the visibility of OIS through marketing efforts and increasing the involvement of domestic students and community members in the mission of OIS.
NATURE OF WORK
This position reports to the Office of International Services Director. The Coordinator is charged with providing opportunities for international students, scholars, and staff to share their culture on camps and in the community and promote the increase of intercultural and global awareness. The Coordinator coordinates with university units to prioritize and allocates tasks to meet the needs of international students; organize administrative and academic areas to resources; and complies with university, campus, and departmental policies and procedures. The position supervises student workers, interns, and volunteers in support of program and activities.
- Plan and organize traditional campus programming events for international students including New Student Information Sessions, Document Check, Welcome Party, Week of Welcome, Orientation, Homecoming Parade, International Festival, International Education Week, iBuddy and Graduating Sash Ceremonies. Establish the annual master calendar of OIS and produce monthly calendar of programs, activities, and workshops. Coordinate workshops and training programs for international students and scholars on topics such as US taxes, Navigating Life in the US, Using University Resources, Wellness, Getting Around Tampa Bay, Special Immigration Topics, and Life after Graduation. Arrange speakers, book rooms and serve as leader of sessions/workshops. Use social media to inform and market to students and scholars.
- Collaborate with community organizations and seek new opportunities for OIS to be actively involved in community events and provide effective programs of volunteer service for international students. Manage partnerships to deliver basic services such as airport pick-ups, shopping trips, obtaining furniture, and holiday celebrations. Work with Fulbright local groups on programming for past and current Fulbright students and scholars.
- Build new programs to meet the needs of new and continuing students, scholars, and their families. Establish programs such as International Coffee Hour, International Friends (Mentor) Program, English Conversation Class, International Speaker Series, Global Cafe, Women’s Group, and Spouse Programs. Work with other offices on short term and summer programs.
- Plan events to develop ties with future alumni, build up alumni database, and work with university partners outside the US. Assist with fundraising efforts.
- Maintains wide knowledge of university and community resources available to students and scholars. Conduct research and assist director with developing policies and procedures to guide the delivery of international student services.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education & Experience):
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization with at least one year of experience coordinating programs for students or scholars. Work experience may not be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement for this position.
- A Master’s degree in Higher Education, College Student Personnel, or other appropriate area of specialization preferred.
- Experience planning activities and events, promoting interaction between international and domestic students, and ability to work with diverse populations.
- Experience working with students in a college or university setting.
- Exposure to international education as demonstrated by living in a different country, working or studying in a different country, or working with an international student population.
- Experience developing and implementing marketing strategies.
- Excellent written, oral, and organizational skills as well as desktop publishing and computer skill.
- Ability to recruit, supervise and develop student workers/interns and volunteers.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
This position is subject to a criminal background check.
Job Opening Number: 3788
Posting Date: 02/28/2014
Posting End Date: 03/12/2014