Submitted by: Bahia S.; Gunma-ken, 2005-2007 Date Submitted: November 5, 2010
Name: Hiro’s Yakko-san
Address: 17044 W Dixie Hwy North Miami Beach, FL 33160 (305) 947-0064
Review Type: Business (Restaurant)
- Mixed Salad – the dressing on this is fantastic!
- Age Dashi Tofu – one of my favorites, tofu fried in a sweet stock. They did this exactly the way they do in Japan, and our friends who were first timers to the dish they loved it as well.
- Lotus Roots (renkon) – crunchy and in a delightful sauce, I have rarely seen this in the USA.
- Buta Nasu Miso Itame – Literally “pork eggplant miso stir-fry” this had a thick miso sauce and the eggplant was cooked just right.
- Rice – perfect rice!
- Ginger Pork (shogayaki) – this was the only dish that I was disappointed in. While the sauce was good, the pork was different from the kind they use in Japan and a little dry.
- Miso Soup – a full bowl of miso soup, not the little half bowl they usually give you in American restaurants.
- Sake – I am not usually a big fan of sake (nihonshu), but the selection we got on the sake flight was surprisingly good. Two of the three did not have much of the aftertaste that I usually don’t like.
- Yakisoba – their yakisoba was very authentic, which was refreshing after the many in-authentic versions I have tried.
Review: This place is by far the most authentic Japanese restaurant that I have been to outside of Japan. After living in Japan for a number of year, my husband I are constantly searching for something that comes close to the food we loved in Japan – this restaurant does!
In the Japanese izakaya tradition, we ordered a number of small dishes to share among 4 people. Everything was good and most
things were extremely authentic.
The restaurant was clean, the service was friendly, it felt like you were walking into a little slice of Japan, with lots of
Japanese and Asian clientele. The price is also very reasonable.
I highly recommend this restaurant!
Have a recommendation or review to share? Enter it in the form here and we’ll post it!